To be perfectly honest, the one thing I never gave too much thought was why do you get dry skin? So I thought I’d do a little research and find out what really happens to our bodies which result in having such dry and cracked skin.
I know in my case I let it get worse and worse, I was simply dealing with the whole discomfort of dried skin, when really I didn’t have to.
The underground mining scene for me and my role was a perfect environment for getting dry skin, dust, grease,oil,mud,cleaning agents, not to mention the lack of sunlight, were a daily part of my role. I had to wash at the end of each day/night, which was another contributor, the soap provided didn’t do me any favors. I was clean but any life left in my skin was slowly getting worse and worse.
I eventually tried to do something about it, I was sick of just dealing with it and was pleasantly surprised when I gave some hemp products a go, my skin was feeling healthier and looking a lot better to. It just felt different, my skin turned from feeling like a fish(dry and scaly), to having some moisture and smoothness and it felt good.
Dry Skin-How does it happen?
When we are firstborn we have amazing skin, like the term “smoother than a baby’s bottom”. So what happens when we grow up, go through puberty then begin the never ending cycle of keeping our skin healthy.
Basically dry skin occurs when our skin won’t retain sufficient moisture, hence why we call skin creams moisturizers. In most cases it’s caused by factors like hot or cold weather, low moisture in the air and soaking in hot water, among other lifestyle choices to.
Dry skin is often temporary, you may only get it through a certain time of the year or through certain work or leisure conditions in some cases it may be a lifelong condition. Signs and symptoms of dry skin depend on your age, your health, where you live, time spent outdoors and what you may be doing that could be the cause, which was certainly what was happening to me, the simple fact was I knew why I had dry skin, I just wasn’t doing anything about it.
Can having dry skin affect you?
Dry skin for me wasn’t incapacitating, for some people it can be. For me it was more irritable and discomforting, I was self-conscious about it heading home from work, not in a way that was debilitating but I didn’t like the feeling. I can only imagine how discomforting and painful it could be for people with major skin conditions, it’s our external organ and we want it to look and feel the best we can.
A common effect of having excessively dry skin, is the weakening of the skin, this often leads to cracking and even bleeding. This occurs when our skin is lacking in moisture, it will start to lose it’s elasticity, which gets worse with age. The skin can split when stretched or put under pressure, initially our skin will redden and start to develop fine cracks, these cracks can become deeper and some areas may become scaly and start to flake away.
Our skin is somewhat like our body armour, it protects us from any unwanted bacteria which can become harmful, the more cracks and exposed areas we have on our skin, the more chance of us catching an infection and getting sick. Of cause, we want a healthy skin covering to, it boosts our confidence, we feel good, we look good.
What can we do to help our skin?
So there are many ways in our lives in which we can keep our skin health in check.
- One of those ways is of course our choice in skin care products and our regular schedule of using them.
- We can’t just rely on our products to keep us in check, drinking plenty of water is essential and having a healthy balanced diet is to, especially for people that suffer from acne, monitoring your daily intake of dairy is vital if your a chronic sufferer.
- Keeping our stress levels to a minimum, which at times is easier said than done when our busy lives seem to be getting the better of us. There has been an increase in cbd oil purchase to, which people use to combat stress and stay calm.
- Good air quality is also good for us, which can be hard to control, outdoors especially. (we can do our part in our climate never the less).
- Getting the sufficient amount of sun exposure, not to the point where we are getting burnt I must say, but enough to soak in that Vitamin D. Also sunscreen and hats if we are spending long periods outside in the hot sun.
- Pay good attention to your face cleanser to, if you have really dry skin using a non soap product can be beneficial, just as important as our moisturizer, we don’t want to be drying out our skin more.
With the right products and lifestyle we all can have great skin
So there are many ways in which we can keep our skin healthy, anyone that has had to deal with the discomfort knows how time consuming it can become, more so if un treated. There are so many changes we can make to assist in our overall health, not just our skin but our whole body, if we work to get good skin through combatting our water consumption, keeping to a healthy diet and skin care products that work, then not only will our skin improve but our whole body will to inside and out.
I don’t want anyone to have to deal with dry or irritable skin and I do believe with a little effort we can all have healthy skin. Choosing the correct product that works for you, plenty of water and an overall healthy lifestyle.
Then it just becomes second nature like brushing our teeth, make it apart of your daily routine. Your reward for that effort is wearing that healthy skin, being proud of it, showing it off to the world and getting on with our lives with one less worry. To our skin and beyond.
Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day.